> South Park Style Music Video
twink
post Aug 4 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #1

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5640

A couple of weeks ago the band Marillion announced a competition to do a video for their new track "Whatever is wrong with you" with a big prize for the one that has the most hits on YouTube by 1st December. I've got a bit of catching up to do as I didn't read about it till the middle of last week, and there is already one on there with over 11,000 views!!!

I couldn't get the band themselves(!), so I had to improvise... and did it South Park style!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzC0gPMum9Q

I'm quite pleased with this if I do say so myself, especially given that I downloaded the Adobe Flash trial on Thursday night and it's the first time that I have ever used it. Which resulted in the most primitive animation since, er, South Park!

Hope you like it cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kenny in da hood...
post Aug 6 2008, 08:11 AM
Post #2

Manbearpig

Member No.: 5517

This post has been edited by Kenny in da hood!: Dec 19 2010, 02:39 PM

+Quote Post
twink
post Aug 6 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #3

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

Member No.: 5640

QUOTE (Cartman with less weight @ Aug 6 2008, 09:11 AM) *
How long did it take you to do that?

A pretty solid 3 days - it took longer than I was expecting to create the characters to start with as every limb or object that you want to animate has to be on a separate Photoshop layer for importing into Flash. So for each character I created the basic image using the generator at sp-studio.de, but that only gives you a version on screen. I did a screen grab, loaded it up in Photoshop, cleaned it up (made the colours more solid and the edges clearer than they came out with the screen grab) and the the hard part... isolating each section by cutting and pasting into a new layer, tidying up the edges and then "filling" the body back in where the arms were cut out so that when an arm moves it doesn't leave a gap behind it. Most characters have 4 or 5 moving parts

There are 5 band members, the girl (3 versions), policeman and me (the "stranger in the kitchen") Some characters had to have new poses created from scratch in Photoshop like the girl sitting down and with flippers on. Others needed adjusting a bit to make them more like the band member - for example the guitarist was made a bit chubbier and his guitar moved up his body as that's how he plays it

Then there were the backgrounds, some of which are cleaned up and edited versions of screen shots from the show (eg the kitchen with Stan and future Stan removed and the whole thing sharpened up a bit) with the original character removed, and some of which were created from scratch

That probably took a day and a half. Then I was learning Flash as I was going on, but I think I picked it up pretty quickly. The creation of all the individual animations probably took another day

And then it probably took about half a day to edit it into the music video itself using Final Cut

Phew! This animation business is pretty hard work! I really must buy myself a Wacom tablet as my right hand was killing me spending all that time holding the mouse

+Quote Post
Kenny in da hood...
post Aug 7 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #4

Manbearpig

Member No.: 5517

This post has been edited by Kenny in da hood!: Dec 19 2010, 02:39 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 01:41 AM

South Park is a registered trademark of Viacom International Inc. and its' related companies. All related videos, clips, images etc. are copyrighted and owned by their respective owners.
"AWESOM-O.com" is a fan forum and is in no way associated with or authorized by Viacom or the Creators of South Park, Matt Stone and Trey Parker.