> 1209 - Breast Cancer Show Ever
remix3211
post Oct 20 2008, 06:17 PM
Post #31

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6117

I liked the "There Will Be Blood" reference there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jay Decay
post Oct 21 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #32

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

Member No.: 5999

QUOTE (SomeRandom @ Oct 20 2008, 03:58 AM) *
I do think they are losing their balance with the Cartman character a bit like people say. Cartman has always been pathetic and contemptible in ample measures, but this was always balanced by a degree of nihilist-Machiavellian charm -- not to mention resourcefulness and cunning, we could admire. It seems like lately they are down on the character. A lot of recent episodes have either featured him acting somewhat out of character -- or else getting lambasted rhetorically or otherwise (beaten to a pulp!) ... the episode's final moments where all the kids loudly tell Cartman some version of "we've never liked you" ... seems to echo what Trey and Matt have perhaps finally got around to deciding about their most dynamic character ... in fact maybe that's their big moral point in the whole series: nobody is supposed to like Cartman.

While that's interesting, it kinda kicks the legs out of part of the show.

Couldnt have put it better myself, you hit the nail on the head.

Thing with Cartman is he is the centeral character, I know that Mat & Tray try to keep his popularity with the fans in check, as he's supposed to be an Archie Bunker type character, but if they go too far they ultimatly diminish the shows centeral attraction.

Cartman should be kept in check not diminished, the veiwer has to have a certain level of respect for the character in order for the character to work, there has to be balance, dragging him through the mud only distances the viewer from the character atleast imo.

solution = they need to give cartman a victory or two before the end of the series, let him get one over on the rest of the cast if not the town, scott tenorman style but on a larger scale, lift him up a bit so the balance can be restored.

+Quote Post
gina-ribena
post Oct 21 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #33

Manbearpig

Member No.: 5384

Why does everyone seem to think Cartman is less funny? I think he's got funnier, I like the way he keeps acting like he's black, with the whole "yo, dude" kinda thing. Though it would have been better if he'd beat Wendy, she was being a bit of a spaz by not taking a joke over the breast cancer thing.

+Quote Post
scarecrow
post Oct 23 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #34

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

Member No.: 6209

Wow, lots of mixed opinions here. Personally, I think it's one of the greatest South Park episodes ever. Not once does it diminish the character they have built up with Cartman. A prime example of this is when he has his mother over at Wendy's house and while all there backs are turned, he's giving her the finger and mocking her. Yes, what he does in the episode is pathetic, but Wendy actually does say that to him in the storage closet where he eats his underwear. If anything, this episode show just how truly fucked up Cartman really is. That no matter how badly he got beaten, he will find a way to manipulate the situation in his favor, as evidenced by his pandering after the fight. That's the kind of person he is. I'm personally satisied that we got to see this episode. Cartman is a great character, but not the reason i watch the show. I've never seen him as the "central character", rather it's driven by the storytelling. It would've been stupid if he'd won the fight, it's better that he got what was coming to him.

+Quote Post
OMG_They_Killed_...
post Oct 26 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #35

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

Member No.: 6309

LOL
I thought this episode was awesome even though Cartman was a wussy tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
XxHYDROZILLAxX
post Oct 30 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #36

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

Member No.: 5369

Maybe they wanted to satisfy all of the fans who hate Cartman. He did deserve some humility. My GF hates him and thinks he is evil. She loved the episode. I loved it as well because of the raw nature of Cartman's intelect. He is still my dog, and as long as he keeps clownin to the extreme he will always be the backbone of South Park. "I Crapped on your desk dog, whats up with that. Thats how I roll yo"

This post has been edited by XxHYDROZILLAxX: Oct 30 2008, 08:43 PM

+Quote Post
lennyagli
post Nov 4 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #37

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

Member No.: 6568

QUOTE (neptune343434 @ Oct 16 2008, 04:44 PM) *
QUOTE (SoAdCrAzY @ Oct 16 2008, 02:15 PM) *
I didn't think it was a very good episode at all.

I preferred it when it was satirical and made good arguments about religion and morality.

The jokes being used now just aren't funny.

totally agree

catman is still a legend!!! And this was 1 of the great episodes for me...nearly as good as..MAN BEAR PIG..lol

+Quote Post
cartman1324
post Nov 7 2008, 01:44 AM
Post #38

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

Member No.: 6623

Personally, I thought the episode was bad. I agree with the statement that cartman is the central character. If you like him or not I feel that he basically makes the show funny, by when he loses or wins.
I think they gotten Cartman way out of character. At the start of South Park Cartman was an "asshole", but he made fun of people without consequences, and always getting want he wants in the end. Like in the episodes Scott Tenorman Must Die and Tsst Tsst ( I think that is the name of the episode) Cartman uses his "cunning, resourceful, asshole" manner to get what he wants. I feel in the recent seasons, in episodes such as this one and Cartman is Gay. Matt and Trey seem to have been more and more trying to humilate Cartman and are putting him out of character. Cartman in my opionin is suppose to be the biggest "dick" to everyone possible and suffer no major consquences (like getting beat into a pulp, or getting public humilated).
Also, I feel that Matt and Trey are more and more getting away from the main characters of South Park Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman, they seem more to major episodes on minor characters such as Craig, Wendy, Butters, Tolkien. Personally, I like the episodes better when the main characters of South Park are the main attraction of the episode. This also goes along with how Kenny no longer dies. It seems as if the old funny joke of Kenny dieing, is gone. In the recent seasons Kenny has not died in a while. Every new episode I hope that Kenny will die but he doesnt.
I feel that Matt and Trey are going way to out of character in the show. Like Jay Decay said they should have an episode where Cartman wins.

+Quote Post
tFighterPilot
post Nov 8 2008, 05:56 PM
Post #39

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

Member No.: 4187

Did I miss something? When did Cartman turn into a Wigger?

Also, the happy ending was even happier since unlike in most movies, in Southpark you don't expect a happy ending. You just expect Cartman to win, just like he won against the midget.

+Quote Post
mattyman
post Nov 8 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #40

Jackovasaur

Member No.: 4752

This show was a masterpiece for many reasons.

First: Cartman as a character is evolving in the way that Stan and Kyle can't for obvious reasons; their perspective is too crucial to the show - they cannot "lose it". Cartman, however can become the nightmare that Trey Parker has (probably) always been writing for him to evolve to. Eric keeps cornering himself (i.e the Awesomo ep, Christian Rock Hard) and getting humiliated in the end.

Second: It was aired during Breast Cancer awareness week (note; Wendy has always worn that pink hat BTW) and they have Eric ridiculing her then, turn it, to ridicule him, only to redeem him as he lies battered and bruised on the floor of the playground to make his great speech:

Cartman: [demoralized] You don't have to say anything. I know how it is. I'm no longer the cool kid. Now you all think I'm a fahahahahahag. [begins to wail] My school life is over 'cause now all the guys don't think I'm coooohoohoohoohoohooooool. [wails some more]
Stan: Dude, we never thought you were cool.
Cartman: That's not true. You're just saying that.
Kyle: No, really. We've always thought you suck.
Jimmy: Yeah, nothing's changed. Our opinion of you can't possible go any lower.
Cartman: You're all just saying that to make me feel better.
Craig: No, it's true. We've always hated you.
Butters: Wuyeah.
Cartman: Don't try and make me feel better, you guys, it isn't... Wait, wait a minute. Why would you guys be saying stuff to make me feel better? Unless... unless you do think I'm cool. [the guys look at each other, sure that Cartman misunderstood them]
Craig: What?
Cartman: [seeing a positive side to this somehow] If you're all trying to make me feel better, then you must still like me. Oh, oh phew! Oh, you had me so worried about what you guys were gonna think of me getting beat up by a girl and... it turns out you think I'm cool no matter what. Oh, oh, oh God, what a relief! [jumps up and clicks his feet up in the air] Oh, yay! [jumps up again]

I just think Parker and Stone's stuff goes from strength to strength and is increasingly making the simpsons, family guy, look like like Tom and Jerry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cartman1324
post Nov 8 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #41

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

"First: Cartman as a character is evolving in the way that Stan and Kyle can't for obvious reasons; their perspective is too crucial to the show - they cannot "lose it". Cartman, however can become the nightmare that Trey Parker has (probably) always been writing for him to evolve to. Eric keeps cornering himself (i.e the Awesomo ep, Christian Rock Hard) and getting humiliated in the end."

I disagree. You say that "Kyle and Stan can't lose it in the show because they're too crucial"

First, I feel Stan kinda gets humilated in Stanley's Cup. He loses the game and the cancer kid dies.

Second, Stan and Kyle aren't the only "crucial" characters, its Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny. They all play crucial roles in making South Park funny. Cartman is an "asshole", Kenny dies, Kyel fights Cartman, and Stan always trys to do the right thing. Alos, you state that Trey Parker has always been writing Cartman to be humiliated. When there are many episodes after Awesomo , and Christian Rock Hard, Cartman's gay in which he doesnt get humilated, the Tourettes episode, and the "midget" episode.

Finally, again Matt and Trey, are going out of their way too much to humilate Cartman. I personally feel the funnier episodes have been when Cartman wins vs when Cartman gets humilated bad For example,

Ginger Kid Episode, Scott Tenorman must Die, Tourette Episode, Imagination Series

vs

Awesomo, Christian Rock Hard, Breast Cancer Show Ever, Cartman's Gay

Cartman is the central character of the show. He in my opionin makes the show funny hate him or love him. In every episode week in week out, hes funny. Even when he gets ridiculed. Saying the Cartman isn't a crucial character is not true. If Cartman wasn't in the show, the show would definatly not be as funny.

+Quote Post
mattyman
post Nov 8 2008, 11:46 PM
Post #42

Jackovasaur

Member No.: 4752

Of course Cartman is pivotal in the show, no-one disputes that. But I don't understand the following:

"I disagree. You say that "Kyle and Stan can't lose it in the show because they're too crucial"

First, I feel Stan kinda gets humilated in Stanley's Cup. He loses the game and the cancer kid dies."

By "lose it" i mean they (Stan and Kyle) rarely corner themselves into a nightmare. My funniest Eric moments are when he tries to play a joke and gets increasingly drawn into a problem he can't get out of (Awesomo is a good example). If you think I'm having a go at Eric, that wasn't my intention. His "humilation" is always part of his character. Stan doesn't get humiliated in "stanleys cup", he gets embarassed and then gets drawn into a an entirely different kind of problem that eric would never get himself into. In that ep Stan tries to help and becomes a victim. Eric never tries to help anyone (apart from the fantastic "Major Boobage" episode; but even then his altruism is exposed by Kyle at the end as he fails to recognise the analogy between what he did and the resistance to the holocaust)
Cartman is equally funny when winning or losing. My favourite is at the end of "Fingerbang" when he does both.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elberto
post Nov 10 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #43

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

Member No.: 1009

the episode was complete shit.

I only laughed when Cartman said "I need to get something of my chest"

This is how it should have gone:

"Cartman gets really scared and tries to get away no matter what. Then when it's gonna happen he craps his pants! Then everybody is laughing at him, and Wendy takes her first punch. BUT THEN Cartman feels no pain at all and realizes that it is a girl!

He beats the shit out of her and then he releases the shit in his pants on top of her head.

THAT would be grand, this was pathetic.

OR he loses the fight but then Cartman finds a way how to give her breastcancer but it will happen in 20 years from now. The episode ends in Cartman who is santanicly lauging

This post has been edited by elberto: Nov 10 2008, 12:11 PM

+Quote Post
cartman1324
post Nov 10 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #44

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

That would've been funny elberto. Like the first one better then the second though.

Matty i guess your right. Kyle and Stan never do corner themselves like Cartman. I still feel though that the new seasons have gotten a little out of hand with humilating Cartman.

Cartman needs a win. I think we can all agree on that.

+Quote Post
Tom
post Dec 14 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #45

Cheesy Poof
Group Icon

Member No.: 6925

This episode was one of the best of the season for me. =P I loved how the first person to beat Cartman up was Wendy, of all people. =) Funny shit.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 09:21 PM

South Park is a registered trademark of Viacom International Inc. and its' related companies. All related videos, clips, images etc. are copyrighted and owned by their respective owners.
"AWESOM-O.com" is a fan forum and is in no way associated with or authorized by Viacom or the Creators of South Park, Matt Stone and Trey Parker.